4.15.2014

Listening To: The Head and the Heart



The Head and the Heart (2011 Sub Pop Records)

I was first introduced to The Head and the Heart last winter on my way back from BlogShop Minneapolis with my photographer friend MacKenzie Jean (see Mac's gorgeous recaps here + here). She popped this album in and it really was love at first sound.

If you're not already familiar with The Head and the Heart, they're this amazing indie folk-rock band from Seattle. Up to that point, my interaction with the folk music scene was limited (at best). And, if I'm going to be honest, I was kind of afraid of it. I have always loved a variety of music, but Folkie tunes seemed like something cool, city kids listened to, not awkward country girls like myself. Yes, I was living in Winnipeg at the time, but I didn't feel like a true urbanite (and doubt I ever will).

After listening to The Head and the Heart's first album, though, I felt a connection with their music and my mind opened itself up to the possibility that I didn't need to be cooler to fit their fan profile. I could just be me. I think some of my fear and insecurity left me that night (emphasis on the word "some"). I'm still the awkward not quite country / not quite city girl, but I've started to embrace that quirky blend and accept it as part of who I am.

Folk is now one of my favourite music genres, and The Head and the Heart one of my favourite bands. Last week, I had the pleasure of seeing them live at Winnipeg's Burton Cummings Theatre. The experience was a surreal. I got chills. Actual goosebumps. It was truly the best concert I've ever been to, and even that doesn't seem to do the concert justice.



Have a listen to Another Story from their newest album Let's Be Still, and Rivers and Roads from their debut, self-titled album.

7 comments:

  1. Amy quirky is good, embrace it. I have come to love my funky, quirky side.
    Have fun!!

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there (towards accepting my quirky personality), but sometimes I think I'm just crazy. Hah!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Thanks for the intro and quirky is a fabulous part of life! Hope you're having fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them, Tracey! Happy listening.

      Delete
  3. Hey I will check this music out! Piqued!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NEW FAVORITE!!!! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad you liked what you heard. I just love them :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you.